Friday, October 2, 2020

Jeans

Trends in fashion follow no real logic. What is more, the basis of promulgation of these trends among the public is also suspect. Case in point, jeans.

I have come to understand that jeans pants started becoming mainstream in the 70s, and the public was largely told that they would feel comfortable in these pants. Inexplicably, this garment has survived through changing fashion trends. Think about it. Tie-dyed shirts with jeans in the 70s, neon colored tops with high waisted jeans in the 80s, tube tops with acid-wash jeans in the 90s, and leather jackets with low-rise ripped jeans in the 2000s; jeans pants figure in every decade.

In my opinion, the comfort provided by jeans is overrated. I have never felt comfortable wearing jeans. Denim is a coarse material. Moreover, jeans pants are seldom flexible. I have never been able to sit cross-legged comfortably while wearing jeans. The pockets are excruciatingly tight, meaning, if I am sitting and my phone rings, I have to twist and twine my body like some contortionist to extract my phone and answer it in time. Also, most pairs I own become tighter when washed but proceed to get looser and looser through the day, which means that my A.M. decision to skip a belt starts backfiring after noon. Oh, and speaking of washing, not a single pair of jeans I own dries uniformly in the dryer. As such, laundry days routinely end with blue pants hanging to dry at random locations in the house, usually with the wet remains of a grocery bill or other such paper balled up in each pocket.

4 comments: