Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Pleonasms



If you grew up in India, pleonasms are no doubt deeply ingrained in your DNA.  A pleonasm is the use of multiple words in a phrase where only one would have been sufficient to convey the meaning.  If you are asking yourself what growing up in India has anything to do with pleonasms, I urge you to reminisce the moments when your English teacher taught you the art of writing formal letters requesting the addressee to "please revert back".  If you want to maintain that your English teacher was better than this, I can assure you that mine was more better.  As an added bonus, my science teacher would ask us to divide the solution into two equal halves and pour them into beakers to fill them to capacity, with an advance warning not to break them.

Let me prove to you that this is not my personal opinion.  Tell me, have you not received the message "Wrong PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number)" on the LCD Display (Liquid Crystal Display Display) of the ATM Machine (Automatic Teller Machine Machine)?  And have you not been unexpectedly surprised when the kitchenware store in Ravivar Peth offered you a free gift when you bought multiple different kadhais?  And, isn't it a true fact that FC College (Fergusson College College) Road has some of the best eateries to pick and choose from? 

However, I was quick to learn that India isn't the only country with a propensity for pleonasms.  Pleonasms have already existed throughout American past history.  For instance, I found that the tuna fish sandwich is one of the most ubiquitous sandwiches across the US.  Sadly, I also learned that armed gunmen caused more deaths in America than did the HIV Virus (Human Immunodeficiency Virus Virus), and that made me wonder if the US was truly a safe haven for individuals fleeing persecution in their home countries, but I did understand the difficult dilemma faced by the authorities and why they couldn't simply issue a cease and desist order to stores selling firearms.  

But what convinced me that the concept of pleonasms wasn't a foreign import to the US was the announcement made by my pilot that were were flying over the Sierra Nevada Mountains (Snowy Mountains Mountains).  I couldn't wait for the airplane to fly cross the mountains, glide over the Mississippi River (Big River River) and the Ohio River (Great River River), and touchdown in my current mid-western domicile, so I could get some Indian food, particularly some Naan Bread (Bread Bread) and a cup of Chai Tea Latte (Tea Tea Milk), and plop myself in front of the TV to learn about some major breakthroughs on the CNN Network (Cable News Network Network).

2 comments: