Tuesday, September 29, 2020

First World Problems

This is something I have been wanting to address for a while.  As you have probably read in my older posts, I have rather gleefully complained about my wi-fi, an overcomplicated TV, inability to plan a vacation, problems with my cars, barbies in the house, and not having desired features in my colonial home.  First world problems, right?  Also, all probably excellent material for internet memes! 

Let us first acknowledge that the etymology of this phrase is a bit dated, since the "third world" is no longer called that; we are now more used to the "developing world".  Secondly, the connotation of the phrase changes depending on whether you apply it to yourself or someone else uses it as an accusation toward you.  I am perfectly fine with the first case.  Here you would use the phrase to succinctly acknowledge that the issue you were complaining about was just a minor inconvenience and a part of an otherwise favorable lifestyle.  This is exactly what I did above when I used it on myself; I acknowledged that I live fairly comfortably, that I have a home, own a car, do not have to worry where my next meal comes from, have internet, have a cellphone.  I accepted that I am blessed to have many luxuries in life and that all the stuff I was lamenting about were miniscule problems.  However, I have a slight problem with the other case where someone else coughs out the phrase "first world problems" when you complain about your little peeves like the long drive through line at Starbucks or a late Amazon delivery.  I'll tell you why.  Does it not feel a bit pretentious for someone else to check your privilege and feign a higher morality as if they only ever worry about starving kids and never complain about more trivial things?  Is it not preposterous to imply that just because you complained about a malfunctioning sump pump in your basement automatically means that you don't care about people who cannot afford to have roofs over their heads?

Here is where I stand on the usage of the phrase "first world problems".  I think it is perfectly alright to complain about things that are deemed trivial and then apply the phrase to yourself.  Just make sure to choose your audience cautiously and sensitively.  On the other hand, if you want to use the phrase when someone else complains about trivial things, here's my advice to you -- Don't. 

3 comments:

  1. "I think it is perfectly alright to complain about things that are deemed trivial and then apply the phrase to yourself."

    Sometimes it might not be perfectly alright to complain at all, particularly about things trivial. So as you said, choose your audience when complaining itself, not just when applying the phrase ��

    ReplyDelete