Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The Christmas Tree

"Do you celebrate Christmas?"

This is a question I get asked often.  More often than not, it triggers a meaningful and very positive discussion about different cultural traditions, racial and ethnic diversity in multicultural communities, themes common to different cultures, and sometimes even more serious topics related to faith and theology.  This kind of dialogue I think is necessary.  I am not here to preach about religious equality or write an essay on the dangers of belief discrimination.  All I am saying is that we must not shy away from these conversations.  These conversations are of paramount importance in today's multicultural society.  They are needed for administrators, employers, schools, and average citizens to develop tolerance and appreciation for cultures that do not fit into mainstream contexts.  They are needed to help immigrant families in countries like the US assimilate into their communities.  They are especially needed to help kids like ours growing up in this country grapple with straddling two different identities.

In a world where egregious jingoism is the becoming the prevailing patriotic sentiment, where cultural diversity is increasingly considered an infraction of cultural integrity, and where there is chaos and conflict in the name of preservation of culture, I want to show my kids that there is a flipside.  While I certainly want them to be true to their own traditions, I want to raise them to be tolerant toward other traditions.  I want them to grow up to honor other people's cultural upbringing or theological preferences.  I want their minds to be always open to educating themselves about ideologies different from their own.  I want them to know that identifying with one faith does not give them a license to be disdainful of the traditions of others.

My desire for raising my kids this way stems from the way my parents raised me.  While quite obviously, I remember celebrating every single Hindu festival with utmost sincerity, I don't remember my parents ever saying anything about Christmas being not for us.  In fact, it was their Santa-avataram that bought me my first HMT wristwatch!  

So this year, just like every year, we will put up a Christmas tree.  The tree will be installed and decorated right under our favorite Shankaracharya picture frame.  Lord Ganesha will supervise our work from across the living room, sitting on his mantelpiece throne, which he had only recently shared with Navaratri golu bommais, Diwali diyas, and Halloween pumpkins equally graciously.  

And this year's Santa-avataram will have to up his game from last year's cheap travel moisturizers, chapsticks, and flossers to Medha's specific petition this year for a magic locket that can eradicate coronavirus.  Thankfully Mira doesn't have any such requests yet! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Celebrate whenever there is an opportunity. I remember getting you Easter eggs too and filling up a "stocking" with goodies each Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tShaabaash.
    Are muZe cAEp chaahiye
    ;P

    ReplyDelete